Advising Hippocrates: Consulting Services for Medical Leaders
Our Advising Hippocrates program consults to physicians, senior executives, and entrepreneurs in health care organizations, academic and medical centers, pharmaceutical, and biotech companies, and startups. Our physician coaches understand the complex leadership challenges physicians and health care leaders face. We are able to leverage innate leadership skills as well as skills that have been informally acquired during training.
Physicians notoriously have difficulty in management and leadership positions. Though called upon to be leaders in many facets of their work (the OR, the ER, hospital administration and committee work, department chairs with board responsibilities, practices with partners and staff), few have received formal leadership or management training. Administrative leadership was often discounted, if not devalued, in medical training. Increasingly, physicians are called upon to be leaders in careers outside of clinical medicine such as teaching, administration, pharmaceuticals and bio-tech, or have become entrepreneurs in related fields. Thrust into positions of power involving significant leadership responsibilities, many feel unprepared, and experience high levels of stress, anxiety, and interpersonal conflict. An increasing number of physicians, having made the transition from private practice to working within a corporate setting, find themselves completely mystified by what they discover. They are not used to working as part of a team in which negotiation plays a primary role. They may not be used to “leading up” or “leading down.” They often did not go into medicine with the thought of assuming a managerial position, let alone a CEO or senior executive position.
We provide coaching and consulting to physician leaders, senior executives and their leadership teams in:
- Medical schools and academic medical centers
- Pharmaceuticals and biotech companies
- Health care companies/HMOs
- Health Care start-ups: Physician and non-physician entrepreneurs
- Governmental agencies and politics
We work with Physicians to:
- Maximize their leadership potential by reflecting on their roles as leaders as well as the psychology of their organization and management team.
- Address the inevitable interpersonal differences and conflicts that often derail organizational performance.
- Deal with the psychological impact of leadership.
- Learn to take decisive action when necessary.
- Successfully develop their teams.